Monday, October 10, 2011

6. Dewey and Larado


Dewey placed three clear knocks on Pastor Tony’s office door and waited. When pastor opened the door he saw two older men in clean worn clothes. One of the men only stared at the floor. The other man looked at the young pastor and said, “Mister Reverend, I’m Dewey and this here’s Larado. He hasn’t talked since the flood of ’72 took his wife and little daughter. We want to ask your permission.”

Tony put on his best smile and gestured the men to come in his office. Dewey glanced in the office door. Neither man took a step inside. Dewey held his hands up shoulder high in a stop position. He said, “Beggin’ yer pardon sir but we’ll not go in your office. Larado doesn’t cotton to any office fancier’n a pot-belly stove or a shade tree.”

In a cheerful tone Tony said, “Hey that works for me. Come with me, I got just the thing.” As the three walked toward a courtyard shade tree, Tony noticed Dewey never moved his left arm. It seemed to just hang free. Larado still never made eye contact with Tony.

The young pastor put a small red handkerchief half way into his sport shirt pocket. This was his sign to all his staff even from day one – ‘do not disturb me’. As the three sat on the ground in the shade Tony asked Dewey, “Fellas, I have a favor to ask. Will you both call me Tony if I call you Dewey and Larado?” The agreement was made.

Somewhere in the conversation a little dog walked up to Larado and started to lick the very quiet old man’s face. Larado began to caress the plain little dog that a flea wouldn’t give a second glance. Obviously the dog had never learned Tony’s ‘do not disturb’ sign; you know, the red handkerchief.

Pastor spoke first with, “Dewey you said you wanted my permission… ask away.” “Mister Reverend…er…I mean Tony… Larado and me aren’t any good at doin’ most things you need done. But our mamas raised us doers and no excuses. Well, we heard one of the Sunday school classes for youngin’s was going to start making some stuff out of cardboard. We’re here to volunteer to help with the cuttin’ ‘n pastin’.”

I’ll tell you right up front, Larado doesn’t even know what a computer is, and I’m half afraid of the fool things. But me and my best friend here figured that anything made out of paste and cardboard is as harmless as that little pup-dog. With my one bad arm I’d have to have one of the little hearts hold the cardboard while I cut it. ‘Course I’m great at one armed huggin’”.

The three stood up as Tony promised he’d think and pray about it. They’d get their answer in a few days. Dewey and Larado walked away with the dog taggin’ along. The young pastor leaned against the shade tree slowly rotating a leaf in his fingers. In his mind he asked the leaf, “Is this what flour power is? It bonds two pieces of paper together and also bonds silver-haired people wanting to do something important with children needing someone to care?

As he began walking back inside the church he shook his head. He thought, “Boy oh boy. College never taught me about Flour Power.” He stopped past the kitchen, made himself a cup of tea and picked up a brand muffin just beggin’ to be shown some attention. The office area was unoccupied as he went in his office, closed his office door almost all the way and took a seat in his high back chair.

His eyes scanned his shelves of books and said to himself, “Maybe I need to start a diary that says, “My life with Flour Power…” No sooner had he got the words out of his mouth than his eyes rested on his sermon notes and the red penciled words at the bottom of the paper:

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9

The pastor turned his cell phone off, got out of his chair, went to the door, and quietly closed it all the way. He knelt at the sofa and folded his hands. What a perfect time for knee listenin’.